The Story of the Corner:

Have you ever found a location in your house or apartment where the air currents collect the dust and dirt into a ball of surprising size? Upon further investigation you may find unusual things inside that ball of dust, like paper clips or socks. This blog is a little bit like that, but for my life. As little bits of dust and dirt collect on my mind I'll be cleaning things off and looking for the more valuable items (everybody needs more socks). This blog will be serving as the receptacle of whatever comes out--good or bad.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Redwall Books

First post about the works that have influenced my life. A hard choice to make. (also, it's a bit late in the day, but I'm trying…)

I decided to dig a bit into my childhood for a good starting point. When I was still in elementary school (for the life of me I couldn't tell you what grade, but fifth-grade or earlier for sure) I started reading books in the Redwall series.


Originally I came across a cartoon on PBS that featured some of the narratives from the Redwall books. My mom recognized the series for what it was, and informed me that my brother, John, had a collection of some of the books. I borrowed a few and started reading, and thus began my first experience as a fan/geek.

The series, written by Brian Jacques, began with the novel Redwall in the 80s. Jacques kept writing until he died, only a few years ago. In total there are more than 20 books in the Redwall series. I haven't read all of them, but I can confidently say that have read most of them. I don't have any reason not to have finished reading them, but at some point I became less enchanted in reading new stories about anthropomorphized animals (mainly rodents) in a quasi-medieval world. I love the ones that I have read, and I always will, but I haven't made myself finish the series. Maybe I will someday. Maybe I'll finish by reading them to my kids at some point.

This description probably doesn't do justice to the impact that this series had on my younger self. I'll probably revisit specific books in greater detail as I develop my patterns for this blog and as my writer's voice becomes better at longer stretches of activity.