The Story of the Corner:

Have you ever found a location in your house or apartment where the air currents collect the dust and dirt into a ball of surprising size? Upon further investigation you may find unusual things inside that ball of dust, like paper clips or socks. This blog is a little bit like that, but for my life. As little bits of dust and dirt collect on my mind I'll be cleaning things off and looking for the more valuable items (everybody needs more socks). This blog will be serving as the receptacle of whatever comes out--good or bad.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Frozen: A Commentary in Seven Posts (One)

Overview:

I'm testing out a new format for blogging. This is going to be a long form experiment. Each day this week I hope to be publishing a post about the film "Frozen." If this works, it is possible that I can use this method for other cultural artifacts. The layout for the week will be:

Monday: Overview
Tuesday: Advertising
Wednesday: Critical Reception
Thursday: The Love Story?
Friday: Elsa
Saturday: Character Developments
Sunday: Not as Good as Everyone Says?

Be sure to check back every day ;)

Allow me to briefly explain a bit about what is to come.

I have a theory about the advertising method that proclaimed the release of the film. It was almost as if they didn't want people to know about the film too soon. Many people were not aware (to my knowledge) of its coming out until just a few months ahead of time. This is unusual for a big picture from a big studio. Often there might have been a solid trailer released well in advance, as well as a general awareness in the populace. I think that this was either by design, or, at the very least, beneficial for the films financial success.

There's all kinds of responses that people have had. Almost exclusively positive. I'll just take a look at what people have had to say about the film.

Thursday will involve a discussion of the love story(s) in the film and how relevant they are to the overall plot.

I intend to devote an entire day to Elsa. I thoroughly believe that she should have been the main character, and as a character she is the most complex. While Disney animation probably doesn't want to make a habit of the bad guys not being the bad guys ("Wreck-it-Ralph"), I think they would have done well to focus on Elsa for this film. (Anna just isn't that interesting.)

The other characters will be dealt with on Saturday.

Sunday is time for the big question. Is it as good as the people are saying? If so, why? If not, why?

I need to wrap this up tonight, and hopefully I'll be better about getting these posted earlier in the day.