The Story of the Corner:

Have you ever found a location in your house or apartment where the air currents collect the dust and dirt into a ball of surprising size? Upon further investigation you may find unusual things inside that ball of dust, like paper clips or socks. This blog is a little bit like that, but for my life. As little bits of dust and dirt collect on my mind I'll be cleaning things off and looking for the more valuable items (everybody needs more socks). This blog will be serving as the receptacle of whatever comes out--good or bad.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Frozen: A Commentary in Seven Posts (Six)

Character Developments


This post might have a slightly misleading title. It's supposedly about character development, but it might be more about the lack of character development in the film.

Yesterday's post was focused solely on the character of Elsa, so I don't feel a great need to discuss her character arc in this post. However, a brief retracing of her's will set the pattern for everyone else.

Elsa-
Start of the film (as an adult, not as a child): Self-confining, shy, nervous, nice.
End of the film: Confident, dressed…differently, supposedly in control of her power.
How she got there: I actually don't think there was a lot in the film to warrant her transformation.

Now I will address the other main characters, specifically those in the picture above.

Anna-
Start of the film: Outgoing, concerned about her sister, convinced in true love.
End of the film: Outgoing, concerned about her sister, probably still believes in true love.
I don't see much growth in her in the film. I could just be more focused on Elsa, but I really don't think that Anna has many different opinions or motivations at the end of the movie. The biggest change I notice is the guy she is interested in.

Hans-
Start of the film: Prince Charming
End of the film: The Villain
This is probably the most drastic transition. However, as this is actually based on the facade that he presented for the first 3/4 of the film, he might not have actually made any kind of substantial change. By the end he is still motivated by the same impetus that he started.

Kristoff-
Start of the film: Ice merchant, head on straight, action oriented
End of the film: Ice merchant, a bit silly in his way of expressing affection to someone he just met
I'm tempted to call his net development a negative. His lack of taking action towards the end of the film is not especially satisfying to me.

Sven-
I feel that he is basically a stalwart rock to all the other characters in the film.

Olaf-
Start of the film: Lovable snowman, odd sense of humor (almost gallows humor)
End of the film: Lovable snowman who understands what love means, accepted other people as friends, aware of the dangers of warmth
Olaf mostly goes through a intellectual development. I would say that his character remains true, but his knowledge of the world increases.

I'd like to just end this here. I'll admit that this might be my weakest post on "Frozen," but it is what it is. I figure that one loser out of seven is still enough for a winning team.