The Story of the Corner:

Have you ever found a location in your house or apartment where the air currents collect the dust and dirt into a ball of surprising size? Upon further investigation you may find unusual things inside that ball of dust, like paper clips or socks. This blog is a little bit like that, but for my life. As little bits of dust and dirt collect on my mind I'll be cleaning things off and looking for the more valuable items (everybody needs more socks). This blog will be serving as the receptacle of whatever comes out--good or bad.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Frozen: A Commentary in Seven Posts (Seven)

Not as Good as Everyone Says?

Sadly, now that I've made it to this point, I don't know that I actually want to make an argument against "Frozen."


When I started this project I thought I had much more to say that was negative about the movie. I was a bit negative, perhaps, because other people seem to be unequivocally positive whiteout generally providing a critical analysis. At this point, I think I only like the film better than ever for having put it under seven straight days of scrutiny and contemplation. Despite the flaws that I have enumerated in the past week, it really is a charming film.

Here's what my real complaint is: I don't think it is good for the reasons it was supposed to be good, and I do think it was talked about for exactly the reasons it was intended to be talked about.

Here are some reasons people love it:
Disney-People love Disney
Music-People love music, especially when major Broadway musical stars (who sing inspiring songs in people's favorite OZ universe musical production) sing inspiring and powerful songs with a main purpose of winning an Oscar and a secondary purpose of giving a character a non-fulfilling declaration of newfound purpose. Not gonna lie, that sentence probably got away from me, and it might not all be true.
Sidekicks-People like fun sidekicks, and Olaf might be one of Disney's best.

Here are some reasons people were supposed to love it, but probably just talk about because it was expected:
Focus on sisterly and not romantic love
The big twist about the prince

That's actually all I can think that people have talked about since it came out…

Things people could have talked about much more:
Increased sophistication of the animation
Shared universe possibilities with "Tangled"

In summary: While "Frozen: will certainly go down as Disney's most successful film and beloved in recent years, I do not think that it will be remembered as their most skillfully rendered story, nor greatest on-screen couple. It will probably be remembered for making a specific statement about Prince Charmings.

PS-Here's some things that I wanted to share but never really fit into the greater whole:
I like the theory that one of my friends provided that Rapunzel's mother and Anna and Elsa's mother are sisters, thereby linking the two royal families.
The new animation style is heralding the new wave of Disney princesses, which is currently a party of three, although some say that Elsa is a Disney queen and not princess.
None of the non-villain leading men in the new wave have been princes.